Geography deals with the aerial differentiation of the earth's surface. It includes study of factors such as physical features, climate, soil, vegetation, population, land use and industries all over world and their regional differentiation. Geography as a career options, thus provides multiple options to the young aspirants who have keen interest in different phenomena of the earth. With the increase use of satellite technology and Geographical Information System in almost every sphere of life, Geography is becoming a more promising career option than it was ever before.
Course Details For Career in Geography
Bachelor’s of Arts in Geography is the minimum course to start a career in this field. This is a three year course offered by many universities throughout India. The minimum qualification for this course is 10+2 pass. Some universities also offer B.Sc courses in Geography. Further one can pursue higher studies in Geography like Maser’s Degree/M.Phil./PhD. At these levels one can choose any specialized courses in Geography like Cartography, Urban and Town Planning, Regional Planning, Physiography, Climatology, Oceanography, Population Studies, Economic and Environmental Geography.
In the age of satellite technology and GIS, multiple career options are waiting for qualified and able geographer. They can work with various government departments and research institutes as cartographer, regional and urban planner. Several private sector organization using GIS and remote sensing technology also require the service of qualified geographer. Geographers also can join NGOs and other developmental agencies engaged in population studies, rural development and environmental issues. Teaching in schools/collages/universities is also a good option for geographers. They can also start their own coaching institutes or tutorials.
Geography offers several career options with numerous specializations.
- 1. Cartography - Geographers who specialize in this make maps, charts, globes and models
- 2. Survey - Geographers can specialize in surveying, either by joining the Survey of India or state Survey Departments or Private organizations. Surveyors map the surface of the earth through mathematical observations and field work.
- 3. Degree in Urban and Regional planning - (Qualification: Geography graduates or post graduates) This involves planning, housing and development projects in terms of their location and utilization of space.
- 4. Diploma in Town Planning - (Qualification: Post Graduates in geography) they are employed by public and private organizations engaged in Urban planning and design and by NGOS involved in rural development projects.
- 5. Remote Sensing - Studies of quickly changing phenomena such as floods, draught and forest fires, etc. Remote sensing satellites provide a variety of information about the earth's surface
Depending on their area of specialization, geographers may be employed as forest managers or in agricultural or economic institutes or as demographers in also government and research organizations. A geography background is also an asset for careers in travel and tourism, particularly for travel Journalism. Geography helps in competitive examinations and general knowledge papers. Geographers employed in government departments and research institutes draw salary of Rs 8,000 to Rs 15,000 per month, which totally depend upon their qualification, experience and seniority. In private sector remuneration is very high along with other benefits like house rent and medical allowances. Monthly earnings of Geography teachers can vary from Rs 10,000 to Rs 25,000 per month.
Institutes Offering Courses in Geography
As a degree course geography is offered in almost all the universities of the country.Specialized courses in geography are also offered by the different institutes.Please click here for detailed list of institutes providing courses in geography.